Friday, January 18, 2013

Preschool at Home

Being a stay at home mom it is hard for me to justify sending Amelia to preschool every day or even a few days a week. I know some people do it but we are on a strict budget. Plus, what would I do with those few hours or all day? I know I could run my errands, go to doctor's appointments, grocery shop or clean (I'm not the best house keeper, ask my husband) but I can do all of those things with Amelia around. So the dilemma was what to do about early learning? Starting Monday we will begin "Preschool at Home" (not sure if that is a registered trademark or whatever but we aren't using a strict curriculum or any special plan so I am not sure what to call it). Anyways, I found some resources online and I have a plan in place for us to begin with the basics. Amelia already knows some of her colors and shapes and she knows a few sounds of letters and can identify a few letters but I want to have a more "formal" approach to her education, where I know she is learning all that she should be so that she is ready for Kindergarten eventually.

I've got the lesson plans together until the end of February and we are taking things easy. One letter, number, shape or color and theme per week. I don't want to overwhelm her with a ton of information at one time so we will just work on school stuff for as long as she shows interest each day.

I am loosely basing our curriculum off of this website for her preschool. That will put us in to July and I will decide what to do from there.

I plan to post once a week, probably Friday, on how the week went and what we enjoyed or a good idea, just something pertaining to home schooling. I hope you will follow along with us!




2 comments:

  1. Woot woot for the homeschooling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a stay at home mom and felt the same way with my oldest. We did pre school at home and it worked great! She is as smart as a whip. She is now in high school and on the National Honor society. I think I did something right to start her off :)

    ReplyDelete